Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Great Interpretive Leap Forward

Picking the song was the easy part, analyzing the song for a deeper meaning was a bit trickier. The song, 'All I Want' by Kodaline, gave me more trouble when I went to look for it in a commercial or movie/TV clip. Since the song isn't very popular (yet), it was a little difficult trying to find that second source. Luckily, it was found in an episode of Grey's Anatomy. After going through each of the sources for the song I found that each illustrated both similarities and differences between themselves. After analyzing the lyrics, I found that the song was discussing “long-lost love” or the “one that got away” in a deep kind f way. The lyrics really hit you deep. Every time I listen to the song, I almost want to cry. Anyway the video portrays a man who is physically disfigured and likes/loves his coworker. The coworker doesn’t see him for who he really is, but only for the disfigured man. The themes of this video are “don’t judge a book by its cover” and giving people a chance to show that they’re not weird or bad people. It is similar to my lyrical analysis through its deepness and depressing vocals and themes. Finally the scene in Grey’s Anatomy where the song is played in the background is quite an emotional scene where it appears that someone important is on the verge of dying in a hospital bed and secrets are being unearthed causing everybody some sort of pain. Now looking at all three sources, the main themes are pain and suffering whether it’s over a lover or someone dying or somebody that they lost or never had a chance with. Each is different, but overall I think I picked a very good song and I can’t wait to start my paper. I think overall the song argues that life isn’t fair and having somebody to love is the key to a happy life. It also argues that everybody will suffer over a significant other at some point in life and the best thing is to stay calm and move on. There is no use in whining about it. This scenario is inevitable, but hopefully it won’t happen to me for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment