Sunday, October 6, 2013

Social Media: What Does Your Tattoo Say?

I’ve had a Facebook for five years and I am proud to say it hasn’t changed my life one bit. Some people are avid facebookers, or tweeters, or instagramers; I am the exact opposite. I am a casual user. I use it make plans and talk to my friends. I never post anything, unless I feel that it is necessary. For instance, the last time I posted something was back in December when I became an Eagle Scout. It is really rare to see a post by me on Facebook. I do not use twitter or Instagram because those require a little too much effort and nobody got time for that. While I may not be a devoted fan of social media, some of my friends are supporters of all three, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. My friend, Aisulu Baibolova from freshman year of high school, posted “I wish you were here,” on Facebook. Aisulu is an avid user of Facebook,; she’ll post something every few days. In her most recent post, she must be referring to someone that is close to her and that she desires their presence. It could be a close friend, a deceased relative, or a significant other. She could be homesick, she could be upset about a recent break-up. The point is she doesn’t give enough information to properly infer; which leaves lots of room to speculate. Another one of my friends, David Fraley from my Boy Scout Troop, posted a picture on Facebook of his calculator. The title says, I'm doing some math hmwk and my calculator spazzes out....... WHATS HAPPENING!!!,” The picture has his graphing calculator doing a math error. On the calculator itself it says, “13*40            DAVID,” and then the calculator says, “ERROR.” David is an interesting character. He leaves everybody guessing his next move. Needless to say he is unpredictable. So this picture is typically something he would post. On the other hand, I’ll post something that has a lot of meaning to me; for example my cover photo. My cover photo is a picture of “The Crew.” “The Crew” is what I and my best friends call our group. It consists of myself and my friends Max, Erik, Hunter, Matt, and Sam. I titled it, “If it’s a bar, I’m not going in!” It was the quote of the night that made everybody laugh. I said it as we were entering an Irish pub, I was going to be the first one in, but I saw a bar and freaked out causing me to run outside through every one of my friends. It was a great night and this picture commemorates every moment from it. Now remember when I said I didn’t have a twitter, well I had one at a point, but I never tweeted. I just used it to follow celebrities and news outlets to learn about them and their activities. My favorite tweet I ever saw was from Anna Kendrick. She tweeted, “Ugh – NEVER going to a Ryan Gosling movie in a theater again. Apparently masturbating in the back row is still considered inappropriate.” People loved this tweet by her; it got nearly 40,000 retweets and nearly 35,000 favorites. People think Anna Kendrick is hilarious, even though she does these over-the-top tweets. She is right in the middle between insane and average. She likes to keep things interesting and people love that. My final assessment of something from social media is a picture posted to Instagram by Seth Rogen. It is a picture of a parade style balloon of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. Many people know that this is a reference to the 1984 classic movie Ghostbusters. Rogen probably just saw this when he was out walking around and felt the need to post it on Instagram. He also probably "geeked" out over it too.
 After analyzing all if these posts I feel there is good and bad social media. I am not a naturally social person so I maintain that on Facebook with my casualness. I think due to my lack of posts on the social media, companies will have a hard time finding anything embarrassing or incriminating on the internet. I shouldn’t have a problem since my immortality on the internet is fairly limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment