Thursday, August 22, 2013

Writing Process

Beginning the writing process is like riding a bike. Once someone gets the hang of it, that person can theoretically spit out papers like it's no one's business. When I begin the "writing process," i look at the prompt and the assignment. If i have trouble with understanding the prompt, I ask my teacher for help. Once the prompt is clear to me, i think of examples and how I am going to approach the essay. I think about past books, experiences, movies, pop culture, history, or anything that may be of help. If it's a research paper, i do the research until i have exhausted all of my sources.  Once i have the evidence and examples for the essay I begin writing with an introduction. The introduction usually includes a hook in the beginning, background information, and a thesis to finish it off. I have always had trouble writing a good thesis; it is a weaker point. Once i am satisfied with the intro paragraph, i begin my work on the meat of the paper: the body paragraphs. A dissection of any body paragraph will find a claim, some layered evidence, and layered commentary that ties it back to the claim and thesis. Depending on the page requirement, I may only have to write a few body paragraphs, but that point is irrelevant. I then finish up with the conclusion. In my opinion i think the conclusion kind of narrows the paper down and leaves the reader with a "call to arms" kind of thing. I write a mean conclusion; it is my strongest point. With the conclusion completed, I move on to the revision portion. I read it to myself and edit it for grammatical errors and reword the essay when it is needed. If i am still nervous, I have my mom look over it and she gives me suggestions or I let a friend look it over. I finish any last revisions the night before and print it one final time with a Work Cited (if I needed one). My final paper is stapled and turned in the next day to my English Teacher. With the final paper in the hands of the teacher, I let a sigh of relief and take my seat because the Writing Process is finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment